Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms of Action of Tumour Suppressor GAS5 LncRNA
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIt is increasingly recognised that lncRNAs play essential regulatory roles in fundamental biological processes and, consequently, that their dysregulation may contribute to major human diseases, including cancer. Better understanding of lncRNA biology may therefore offer new insights into pathogenetic mechanisms and thereby offer novel opportunities for diagnosis and therapy. Of particular interest in this regard is GAS5 lncRNA, which is down-regulated in multiple cancers, with expression levels related to both clinico-pathological characteristics and patient prognosis. Functional studies have further shown that GAS5 lncRNA both inhibits the proliferation and promotes the apoptosis of multiple cell types, and that together these cellular mechanisms of action are likely to form the basis of its tumour suppressor action. At the same time, advances have been made in our understanding of the molecular mechanisms of GAS5 lncRNA action in recent years, including riborepression of certain steroid hormone receptors and sequestration of miR-21, impacting key regulatory pathways of cell survival. Overall this accumulating knowledge has the potential to improve both the diagnosis and treatment of cancer, and ultimately patient outcome.
CitationPickard, M. R. & Williams, G. T. (2015). Molecular and Cellular Mechanisms of Action of Tumour Suppressor GAS5 LncRNA. Genes, 6(3), 484-99. DOI: 10.3390/genes6030484
SponsorsBreast Cancer Campaign, Prostate Cancer United Kingdom
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Novel Tumor Suppressor lncRNA Growth Arrest-Specific 5 (GAS5) In Human Cancer.
- Authors: Yu Y, Hann SS
- Issue date: 2019
- The hormone response element mimic sequence of GAS5 lncRNA is sufficient to induce apoptosis in breast cancer cells.
- Authors: Pickard MR, Williams GT
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 1
- Negative regulation of lncRNA GAS5 by miR-21.
- Authors: Zhang Z, Zhu Z, Watabe K, Zhang X, Bai C, Xu M, Wu F, Mo YY
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Low expression of lncRNA-GAS5 is implicated in human primary varicose great saphenous veins.
- Authors: Li L, Li X, The E, Wang LJ, Yuan TY, Wang SY, Feng J, Wang J, Liu Y, Wu YH, Ma XE, Ge J, Cui YY, Jiang XY
- Issue date: 2015
- The role of long non-coding RNA GAS5 in cancers.
- Authors: Ji J, Dai X, Yeung SJ, He X
- Issue date: 2019