The hormone response element mimic sequence of GAS5 lncRNA is sufficient to induce apoptosis in breast cancer cells.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGrowth arrest-specific 5 (GAS5) lncRNA promotes apoptosis, and its expression is down-regulated in breast cancer. GAS5 lncRNA is a decoy of glucocorticoid/related receptors; a stem-loop sequence constitutes the GAS5 hormone response element mimic (HREM), which is essential for the regulation of breast cancer cell apoptosis. This preclinical study aimed to determine if the GAS5 HREM sequence alone promotes the apoptosis of breast cancer cells. Nucleofection of hormone-sensitive and -insensitive breast cancer cell lines with a GAS5 HREM DNA oligonucleotide increased both basal and ultraviolet-C-induced apoptosis, and decreased culture viability and clonogenic growth, similar to GAS5 lncRNA. The HREM oligonucleotide demonstrated similar sequence specificity to the native HREM for its functional activity and had no effect on endogenous GAS5 lncRNA levels. Certain chemically modified HREM oligonucleotides, notably DNA and RNA phosphorothioates, retained pro-apoptotic. activity. Crucially the HREM oligonucleotide could overcome apoptosis resistance secondary to deficient endogenous GAS5 lncRNA levels. Thus, the GAS5 lncRNA HREM sequence alone is sufficient to induce apoptosis in breast cancer cells, including triple-negative breast cancer cells. These findings further suggest that emerging knowledge of structure/function relationships in the field of lncRNA biology can be exploited for the development of entirely novel, oligonucleotide mimic-based, cancer therapies.
CitationPickard, M. R., & Williams, G. T. (2016). The hormone response element mimic sequence of GAS5 lncRNA is sufficient to induce apoptosis in breast cancer cells. Oncotarget, 7(9), 10104-10116. DOI: 10.18632/oncotarget.7173
SponsorsBreast Cancer Now
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Regulation of apoptosis by long non-coding RNA GAS5 in breast cancer cells: implications for chemotherapy.
- Authors: Pickard MR, Williams GT
- Issue date: 2014 Jun
- Reciprocal regulation of GAS5 lncRNA levels and mTOR inhibitor action in prostate cancer cells.
- Authors: Yacqub-Usman K, Pickard MR, Williams GT
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Long non-coding RNA GAS5 regulates apoptosis in prostate cancer cell lines.
- Authors: Pickard MR, Mourtada-Maarabouni M, Williams GT
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Down-regulation of lncRNA, GAS5 decreases chemotherapeutic effect of dendrosomal curcumin (DNC) in breast cancer cells.
- Authors: Esmatabadi MJD, Motamedrad M, Sadeghizadeh M
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 15
- [Low expression of lncRNA-GAS5 promotes epithelial-mesenchymal transition of breast cancer cells in vitro].
- Authors: Ding YX, Duan KC, Chen SL
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 20