Severe personality disorder in the secure estate: continuity and change
AuthorsTaylor, Paul J.
AffiliationUniversity of Chester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe Response to Offender Personality Disorder Consultation was released in October 2011. For some this is a welcome step in the right direction due to its therapeutic optimism, however for practitioners operating in the secure estate there are significant challenges ahead. This aim of this article is to discuss the increasing convergence of health and criminal justice and their inherent ideological and practical difficulties. It does so with reference to the consultation on offender personality disorder pathways and in particular the implications regarding multi-disciplinary and cross agency approaches to risk, public protection and personality disorder respectfully. It concludes that before embarking on a new wave of determining and responding to those with personality disorder, offender or otherwise, a more in-depth and empirically informed critical reflection is warranted.
CitationTaylor, P. (2012). Severe personality disorder in the secure estate: continuity and change. Medicine, Science and the Law, 52(3), 125-127. doi: 10.1258/msl.2011.011112
JournalMedicine, Science and the Law
The following license files are associated with this item:
- An update on managing dangerous people with severe personality disorder--"the human time bombs.".
- Authors: Treasaden IH, Weller M
- Issue date: 2004
- The successes and failures of the DSPD experiment: the assessment and management of severe personality disorder.
- Authors: Tyrer P, Duggan C, Cooper S, Crawford M, Seivewright H, Rutter D, Maden T, Byford S, Barrett B
- Issue date: 2010 Apr
- A joint offender personality disorder pathway strategy: an outline summary.
- Authors: Joseph N, Benefield N
- Issue date: 2012 Jul
- Assessments and admissions during the first 6 years of a UK medium secure DSPD service.
- Authors: Freestone M, Taylor C, Milsom S, Mikton C, Ullrich S, Phillips O, Coid J
- Issue date: 2012 Apr
- The Westgate Service and Related Referral, Assessment, and Treatment Processes.
- Authors: Bennett AL
- Issue date: 2015 Dec