AffiliationUniversity of Chester ; Edge Hill University
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractComputational modelling is a key component of systems biology and integrates with the other techniques discussed thus far in this book by utilizing a myriad of data that are being generated to quantitatively represent and simulate biological systems. This chapter will describe what computational modelling involves; the rationale for using it, and the appropriateness of modelling for investigating the aging process. How a model is assembled and the different theoretical frameworks that can be used to build a model are also discussed. In addition, the chapter will describe several models which demonstrate the effectiveness of each computational approach for investigating the constituents of a healthy aging trajectory. Specifically, a number of models will be showcased which focus on the complex age-related disorders associated with unhealthy aging. To conclude, we discuss the future applications of computational systems modelling to aging research.
CitationIn A. Yashin, & S. M. Jazwinski (Eds.), Aging and health - A systems biology perspective, 40, (pp. 35-48). Karger, 2015
DescriptionThis book chapter is not available through ChesterRep.
Series/Report no.Interdisciplinary Topics in Gerontology and Geriatrics
- Computational systems biology of aging.
- Authors: Kriete A, Lechner M, Clearfield D, Bohmann D
- Issue date: 2011 Jul-Aug
- Investigating cholesterol metabolism and ageing using a systems biology approach.
- Authors: Morgan AE, Mooney KM, Wilkinson SJ, Pickles NA, Mc Auley MT
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Systems biology approaches in aging research.
- Authors: Chauhan A, Liebal UW, Vera J, Baltrusch S, Junghanß C, Tiedge M, Fuellen G, Wolkenhauer O, Köhling R
- Issue date: 2015
- Systems biology and bioinformatics in aging research: a workshop report.
- Authors: Fuellen G, Dengjel J, Hoeflich A, Hoeijemakers J, Kestler HA, Kowald A, Priebe S, Rebholz-Schuhmann D, Schmeck B, Schmitz U, Stolzing A, Sühnel J, Wuttke D, Vera J
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Bioinformatics in aging research: a workshop report.
- Authors: Fuellen G, Adjaye J, de Grey A, Lepperdinger G, de Magalhães JP, Sühnel J, Wipat A
- Issue date: 2010 Dec