AffiliationUniversity of Chester
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis paper reports on a funded research project exploring perceptions and experiences of pre-registration nursing students of support in practice in one Higher Education Institution in England. The study used a mixed method approach with samples of new students (within the first six months) and finishing students (within the last three months). Students reported that the most important areas they needed support with were clinical skills, placement situations, documentation and personal issues. The mentor qualities that were valued were personal attributes, being facilitative and being knowledgeable; newly qualified mentors and experienced students were seen as being the most supportive. Students saw their own responsibilities as learning and gaining skills, being professional and caring for patients. The finishing students also felt that accountability and teaching were part of their role. Reported challenges encompassed personal issues, including work-life balance and finances, dealing with elements such as patient death and uncertainties in new situations. The best aspects of practice emerged as being involved in patient care, feeling part of a team and experiencing positive support from mentors. The findings explicated the multi-faceted nature of student support in practice that need to be taken into account when putting support frameworks in place.
CitationNurse Education in Practice, 2011, 11(6), pp. 351-355
JournalNurse Education in Practice
DescriptionThis article is not available from ChesterRep.
CollectionsHealth and Social Care
- Mentors' perceptions and experiences of supporting student nurses in practice.
- Authors: McIntosh A, Gidman J, Smith D
- Issue date: 2014 Aug
- Supporting students' learning and professional development through the process of continuous assessment and mentorship.
- Authors: Neary M
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- Supporting students in clinical practice: pre-registration nursing students' views on the role of the lecturer.
- Authors: Price L, Hastie L, Duffy K, Ness V, McCallum J
- Issue date: 2011 Nov
- Mentorship in contemporary practice: the experiences of nursing students and practice mentors.
- Authors: Myall M, Levett-Jones T, Lathlean J
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- Supporting learners in clinical practice: capacity issues.
- Authors: Hutchings A, Williamson GR, Humphreys A
- Issue date: 2005 Sep